Thursday, January 29, 2009

pete and repeat

i have decided instead of writing big long things all the time i will just write when thoughts crop up. here is the first attempt.

the other day i decided to start listening to music when i get ready in the morning. so i put in a cd in my stereo in the bedroom and headed to the bathroom. i listened to a few worship songs as i brushed my teeth and shaved. then i jumped in the shower, excited to sing along as i sanitized myself. well, as fate would have it, the cd began to skip. over and over again i heard 'in Christ alone, my hope is found He is... in Christ alone my hope is found, He is... in Christ alone my hope is found, He is..." despite the greatness and sincerity of the words being repeated, this obviously got a bit annoying.

my thoughts led me to think of how God must feel when he listens to my prayers sometimes. there have been times in my life i have fallen into the same sins over and over again, and prayed for God to help me and to forgive me. then i would sin again, and go back to God with the same exact prayer. although i was sincere and meant everything i said, if i were listening, i would have been annoyed, just as i was at the skipping cd. and therein lies the greatness of the God we serve. although He has every right to get annoyed and could easily just block us out, He chooses to listen, and care. and beyond that, He chooses to forgive us. so when it seems your prayer life sounds like a skipping cd or broken record, do all you can to fix it, but know that God is still listening, still cares and is patient enough to listen to the repetition.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

It really is easy to fall into that habit of praying like a robot. I am still constantly amazed that the all-powerful creator of the universe cares to listen to what I have to say.

Anonymous said...

I heard or read something recently that challenged the language we use in our prayers. It pointed out some of the silly things we say in repetition that we don't really know the meaning of. The point that really hit home with me is the number of times we say "Dear Father" or "O Lord" in our prayers. It would be like me walking up and saying, "Dear Steve, I just want you to know you are a good friend, full of good friend characteristics, O Steve. Good friend Steve, I just want to ask you to pass me salt. And good friend Steve, I want to ask you to always be my friend in the friendliest sort of way."