Tuesday, May 27, 2008

top 3

warning- this post requires replies and comments.

here is the inspiration-
i was driving along to indiana a few weeks back for work and didn't have my ipod (the rental didn't have an input- tragedy, i know). so i was relegated to listening to the radio for the whole trip. once the detroit sports radio station was out of range, i opted for the scan button. as i determined if a song was or was not worth my time, i thought about the songs i never like or listen to and the songs i love or cannot pass up if i hear them. also, as i stopped on a few songs, i realized i would have been embarrassed to stop on them had anyone else been in the car. so, it made me want to write a blog and see what some of your entries on the following top 3 lists would be. (i included movies because i like them and my sister and i have talked before about movies you watch whenever they are on tv no matter how many times you have seen them.) feel free to reply with any or all of your entries.

SONGS I DESPISE
(i would never stop on these songs unless it was to mock them or if i had a person in the car whom i wanted to torture)

1. anything sung by rod stewart
he is terrible and sounds like he swallowed glass. forever young particularly makes me want to puke and ironically makes me want to be old, so that i could be closer to death and have less of a chance of hearing that song anymore.

2. i want to live like animals (or the animal song) by savage garden
i don't even think i have to justify this one. listen to the song. i can't explain how, but i am pretty sure it is the cause of people choosing to be vegetarians and vegans.

3. summer girls by lfo
new kids on the block had a bunch of hits, chinese food makes me sick, and i think it's fly when girls stop by for the summer, the summer. note to the lyricist- please just have one coherent thought. just one- is that too much to ask?

4. simply having a wonderful christmas time by paul mccartney

i had to include this one. it makes me want to ram q-tips into my ears. paul mccartney should be removed from the beatles somehow for providing the musical equivalent of pooping in a box, wrapping it and placing it under a christmas tree.

SONGS I LOVE
(i would never change the dial if these songs came on)

1. california love by dr. dre and tupac (moment of silence please)

i don't know what it is about this song, but i have to listen to it when it comes on. maybe it is that inner thug coming out of me from my days on the mean streets of ashtabula. or maybe i relate with being out on bail, fresh out of jail- california dreaming.

2. elvira by the oak ridge boys

i used to love this when i was a little kid and would dance around in my diapers whenever it came on. i guess some traditions never die. (not saying i wear diapers and dance around my house to this song now *nervous chuckle*)

3. tie- anything sung by christina aguilera, lauryn hill or kelly clarkson

i am just melted into a little puddle of goo when i hear an awesome female voice, and these three can sing in a way that would make paint fall off of walls. three particular songs would be beautiful by c.a., ex-factor by l.h., and the live version of beautiful disaster by k.c. (by the way, kelly, if you read this, i am ready to marry you whenever you want.)


GUILTY PLEASURE SONGS
(i would not start out a blind date by saying i liked these songs)

1. one word, two syllables- boybands

i pretty much know every word to every n'sync song, most nkotb songs, and several backstreet boys songs. you can even throw in stuff like bbmak, 98 degrees, all4one and color me badd. i even created a genre on my itunes called boy bands so i don't have to weed through all that normal manly music guys listen to to find it. (related topic- i also love justin timberlake's solo stuff and listen to it all the time.)

2. the one that you love by air supply

in my defense- i am a high tenor. it helps me exercise my vocals. although crying as i scream it at the top of my lungs as i normally do doesn't help me sing much better.

3. careless whisper by wham

this is one of my favorite songs ever. what can i say, i am just a sucker for george michaels and... that other guy in wham.

HONORABLE MENTION
(i like music so much that it was hard to limit to 3 so i had to at least give these songs a shout out)

1. what might have been by little texas
2. one last cry by brian mcknight
3. true by ryan cabrera
4. fly me to the moon by frank sinatra
5. mozart's requiem
6. worlds apart by jars of clay
7. she's got a way by billy joel
8. the freshmen by the verve pipe
9. inside out by eve 6
10. under the bridge by the red hot chili peppers

MOVIES I DESPISE
(i will not watch these movies unless i have no choice)

1. any star trek movie

i don't get into sci-fi. if you do, more power to you, but it is not my cup of tea.

2. superman returns

this movie had cheesy dialogue. it was way too obvious with its messianic parallel. i was sad to see one of my favorite actors, kevin spacey, be a part of such a disaster.

3. pearl harbor

leave it to american film to take a story about one of the most intriguing events in american history and focus on a fictitious love story. it was everything the makers of saving private ryan strived to avoid.


MOVIES I LOVE
(i could watch them over and over again and still enjoy them)

1. dumb and dumber

classic slapstick comedy mixed with some very witty writing and great comedic timing. i laugh every single time i watch this movie without exception.

2. seven

pretty graphic content, but excellent thought-provoking dialogue concerning sin, religion and tolerance in american culture.

3. forrest gump

i don't know what it is, but i cannot get enough of this movie. the story, as unbelievable as it is, just draws me in every time. also, it makes me cry every time i see it, which leads into the next category...

MOVIES THAT MAKE ME CRY EVERY TIME I WATCH THEM

1. dead poet's society

when the guys all find out about neil and todd (ethan hawk's character) just loses it, i can't help but cry.

2. mrs. doubtfire

ok, i know this seems stupid, but i have good reason. i am sure he would deny this if confronted, but this is the first movie i remember watching with my dad and seeing him cry. we went to the theatre and when robin williams is giving that speech in court about not losing his kids, my dad started to cry a little. every time i see that film now, i cry at that part.

3. patch adams

again, this is kind of a corny movie, but when patch is reading the rest of the love poem to corinne, i lose it. also, the scene on the edge of the cliff where patch is talking to God doesn't make me cry, but it is very emotional. you know, maybe i need to quit watching robin williams movies and i won't cry as much, cause i cry during good will hunting every time too. (it's not your fault, it's not your fault)

HONORABLE MENTION
(i would for sure recommend that you watch these if you have not already)

1. gladiator
2. stranger than fiction
3. crash
4. american history x
5. what about bob
6. the usual suspects
7. ray
8. waiting for guffman (or any movie with that cast)
9. gangs of new york (and there will be blood- daniel day lewis is awesome in both)
10. wayne's world

ok, that's all for now. i hope to hear some of your favorite music and movies, too!

5 comments:

aaron bell said...

i hate, hate, hate Waynes World... i hated the skit on SNL, i hated that Bohemian Rhaposody is now sung by every moron with a mouth to sing. i hated that movie, not one part of it was funny. i would rather stick a fork in my own eye then watch that movie. as for the rest of the survey...

Top 3 Songs I Despise
1. anything by the Christian group Selah. The fact that every song they sing that gets any radio airplay is a cover of a secular band drives me insane.

2. the aerosmith song from Armegeddon. it makes me sick everytime i hear it, no explination, it just makes me physically ill, i don't even know the name of it, because i don't want to know the name of it, i just want it erased from my memory

3. toxic by britney spears... mainly because its the one song that i get stuck in my head, that little insturmental part that is repeated, i think for a stretch of time that song was played at exactly the same time every day on a radio station in flint, and it was exactly when i had my alarm set in the morning, so every day started off with that song being embedded in my head.

well, i will be back to respond more later....

to be continued!
--aaron

Stephanie Corp said...

alright...i am gonna do movies...this is tough because there are so many i love (and so many that i hate)...

MOVIES I DESPISE

1. the Lord of the Rings trilogy

it's about elves and fairies...need i say more?


2. The Matrix trilogy

now granted, i only say the first 10 minutes of the first one, but as far as i can tell, this is about tight leather jumpsuits & jumping in slow-motion, neither of which interest me...


3. any comedy starring Robin Williams...

although i love him in dramatic roles, i find him incredibly annoying in comedic roles

4. Forrest Gump/Castaway/anything with Tom Hanks post-Philadelphia

i have no real explanation for my hatred of Tom Hanks--i just do...

5. Any comedy staring Will Smith...

Newsflash to America: he's just not that funny...


MOVIES I LOVE OR TO WHICH I AM STRANGELY ADDICTED


1. Waiting for Guffman

i find something new to laugh at every time i watch it...and i have seen it at least 50 times...

2. A Few Good Men

for some reason i have to watch this stupid movie every single time i am flipping channels and see it on tv and it is on A LOT...DARN YOU USA NETWORK!!!...i try to resist, but i watch it every time...i don't even have an explanation because i do not like anyone in the movie or even the plot, but the movie is like crack to me...

3. Glory

Denzel is genius in this movie...and besides that, i am a history nerd and love the story...

4. Elf

again, i laugh every single time--and making me laugh is not so easy...

5. Shawshank Redemption

just a great movie...no further explanation needed

MOVIES THAT MAKE ME CRY EVERY TIME I WATCH THEM--not much of a cryer, but these ones get me

1. dead man walking

Sean Penn is pure genius in this movie...it is actually the first movie that ever caused me to cry...i was literally soaked with tears when i left the theater...



2. Schindler's List...

when he is talking about the things he kept that he could have used to save more people, i lose it...

3. Glory

when Denzel cries, i cry...



HONORABLE MENTION
(i would for sure recommend that you watch these if you have not already)

1. happiness (tough subject matter, but a genius film--everyone in it is stellar--Dylan Baker gives a haunting performance)
2. stranger than fiction (creative & great acting)
3. several Edward Norton films including primal fear (this movie made me fall in love Edward Norton), american history x, 25th hour, the score
4. anything directed by paul thomas anderson--magnolia, boogie nights, there will be blood
5. what about bob
6. the usual suspects
7. several Leonardo DiCaprio films-including what's eating gilbert grape, the departed, this boy's life, basketball diaries, and catch me if you can
8. Malcolm X
9. Mystic River
10. juno

Anonymous said...

Songs I despise:

1. B-I-N-G-O sang by anyone. I'm sure there's some traumatic childhood memory associated, but I've suppressed it into oblivion. It just makes my skin crawl.

2. Anything by Rush. I know Neal Peart is supposed to be the greatest drummer ever, but I can't get past Geddy Lee's horrible, horrible voice. Plus, they're Canadian.

Songs I love:

1. Every song by Aerosmith with the lone exception of the aforementioned "I Don't Want To Miss a Thing"

2. You Shook Me All Night Long by AC/DC. Beth took me to see them on one of our first dates.

Movies I despise:

1. Titanic. A travesty to history that is simultaneously inaccurate and offensive.

2. Pearl Harbor. The Pearl Harbor attack scenes are incredible, but the rest of the movie makes me want to puke. I laughed out loud in the theater when Ben Affleck stepped out of the plane carrying his buddy's coffin, which didn't go over well with the folks around me that were crying.

Movies I love:

1. Dumb and Dumber.

2. Brain Donors.

Movies that make me cry every time I watch them:

1. Most (The Bridge). I think I cried more the first time I saw this movie than I've cried in all other movies combined. I literally left a puddle on the floor.

2. It's A Wonderful Life. His return home to his family at the end always gets me.

3. The Lifehouse "Everything" skit on Youtube. I know this isn't technically a movie and it's slightly corny, but it really moves me.

Errrrn Vrrrrs said...

SONGS I HATE
1. Wannabe - Spice Girls. How do you "zigazig ah" exactly?
2. A Horse with No Name - America. There are just no words to describe the boredom I feel just thinking about this song.
3. The Macarena - This was an unfortunate mistake.
4. My Humps - Black Eyed Peas. Waste of sound waves.
5. Tubthumbing - Chumbawumba. I really like it when songs repeat the same things over and over...and over.
6. I'm Too Sexy - Right Said Fred. Does anyone realize that he says he's too sexy for his cat? Yikes
7. Anything sung by: baby whiney voiced girls (Ashlee/Jessica Simpson, Mandy Moore, etc.), the raspy rockers (Nickleback, Chris Daughtry, etc.), Jewel, Beastie Boys, Tom Jones, Fergie, Madonna, Cher, Berry Manalow, early Will Smith, or any artist who things screaming is a talent.
But most importantly, I HATE...the M.A.S.H theme song.

SONGS I LOVE
list not limited to what's listed; too many to name. these have just been on my mind lately
1. For the Longest Time - Billy Joel. Simple and adorable
2. Iris - Goo Goo Dolls. A '90s classic.
3. Hey Mr. DJ - Backstreet Boys. This has been my jam since I was in elementary school...yes, you now know my secret shame.
4. Sloop John B - Beach Boys. The only song I think they did that didn't make me think I should be learning how to surf just so I can see what all the fuss is about. Great song.
5. Zak and Sara - Ben Folds. It's Ben Folds...genius.
6. Brick - Ben Folds Five. Add four people to the aforementioned and you have another great song.
7. Oh What a World - Rufus Wainwright. A fantastic song and I still can't pronounce his name without sounding like I have a speech impediment.
8. We're Going to be Friends - White Stripes. Love it.
9. Suddenly Seymour - Little Shop of Horrors. Ridiculously addicting.
10. Step in Time - Dick Van Dyke. Yes, yes, I know...for shame. I have the biggest crush on him.
11. 10 Hours - Warren Barfield. Beautiful song.
12. That's What Love is For - Amy Grant. Anything by her is fantastic.
13. Anything sung by: Goo Goo Dolls, Barlowgirl, Ben Folds/Ben Folds 5, Bruce Springsteen (shut up Steve!), Deeperstill (is that better?), Amy Grant, Rufus Wainwright, Shane & Shane, Shawn McDonald, Rascal Flatts, or Jeremy camp. LOVE.

MOVIES I LOVE
again, i stress, there are too many to name here
1. No Country For Old Men - Genius
2. Some Like It Hot - A classic. Who doesn't like Jack Lemmon?
3. Stand By Me - Another classic in my book.
4. Batman Begins - My family owns a comic book shop, so it is very hard to please us with comic movies...well done.
5. Singing in the Rain - My favorite musical. Gene Kelly's dancing is almost lust worthy.
6. A Christmas Story - One of the funniest good movies I think.
7. The Princess Bride - Never seems to get old.
8. Big Fish - A Beautiful movie. Ewan McGregor is just like Gene Kelly's dancing in Singing in the Rain.
9. Shaun of the Dead - I love British humor.
10. Anything Monty Python - It just seemed to fit after I made the comment about British humor.
11. Young Frankenstein - Gene Wilder is always fantastic. This movie is so choice.
12. And now for my list of movies that all remind me of the same classic comedy genre that is my absolute favorite: Tommy Boy, Ferris Beuller's Day Off, What about Bob, Airplane, Dumb and Dumber, Planes Trains, and Automobiles, Caddyshack, Groundhog day, Coming to America, etc. Basically anything Chris Farley, Bill Murray, or Jim Carrey.

MOVIES I HATE
1. Beyond the Sea – Tragic that K. Spacey had to be involved in my hatred.
2. Fantastic Four – Ugh, despicable
3. The Hulk – not the most recent one but the one that they tried to pull off a few years ago.
4. Anything with Nicholas Cage – a.k.a. Mr. Monotone Q. Badactor
5. Kate and Leopold - Dumb
6. Any movie with cheesy dialogue that isn’t supposed to be cheesy. Usually someone is trying to be sarcastic. (The Pacifier, Bringing Down the House, College Road Trip, Fantastic Four) – Simply annoying and repulsive excuses for movies.
This is the longest blog response I think you are going to ever get in your life… I’m glad I am the one to supply you with it. Enjoy it.

Courtney Strahan said...

FAVORITE SONGS
1. let it be by the beatles
i started listening to the beatles when i was about 7 or 8. i think the only reason i first liked this sing is because it mentioned a religious figure from the the denomination i grew up in.

2. gravedigger by dave matthews
this song is off of dave's first solo album. part of the reason i love dave so much is due to his poetic lyrics: "gravedigger, when you dig my grave, could you make it shallow so that I can feel the rain." these lyrics are sort of haunting, yet show humanity's longing for something beyond this life.

SONGS I DESPISE
1. life after love by cher
i think i dislike this song because it is so easily stuck in my head. and yes, i believe in life after love.

2. picture by kid rock and sheryl crow
i don't know if it's because it was way overplayed, but i don't remember liking it the first time i heard it. it's whiny. i really just have to turn the channel every time i hear this song.

3. everybody hurts by r.e.m.
it's only good in the office episode "the fire" when dwight is in his car, depressed that michael is becoming fixated with ryan.

GUILTY PLEASURE SONGS
1. anything by michael jackson
okay, michael jackson is truly fantastic. i think i am only putting this on my 'guilty pleasures' list because i was made fun of for liking him when i was in grade/middle school.

2. hanson's "mmmbop"
i never really got into the whole boyband phase like most other girls at the age of 14, but this song was the exception for some reason.

3. you're beautiful by james blunt
i didn't really like this song when it first came out because i wasn't sure how i felt about blunt's voice. but now i can't get his album "back to bedlam" out of my cd player.

HONORABLE MENTIONS
1. i am the walrus by the beatles
2. one sweet world by the dave matthews band
3. where the streets have no name by u2
4 worlds apart by jars of clay
5. imagine by john lennon (ok, really anything by lennon or the beatles could be on this list)
6. raspberry beret by prince
7. while my guitar gently weeps by the beatles
8. what a good boy by barenaked ladies
9. hotel california by the eagles
10. fat bottomed girls by queen

MOVIES I LOVE
1. dead poets society
this is a must see for all english majors. and anyone who loves to read and considers that what we read might change the way we view the world and/or life.

2. forest gump
while all events are unlikely and there is no way that one person could ever be that involved in that many events in history... this is one of the best films i've ever seen.

3. shrek
i don't know what it is, but there isn't much that beats watching an ogre fall in love mixed with the comedy of a talking donkey.

MOVIES I DESPISE
1. any remake of classic horror films
(i.e.: house of wax, texas chainsaw massacre, amityville horror) -- okay... they were good as the original. we don't need another washed up celebrity making a trashy version of a classic slasher flick.

2. lost in translation
yep. exactly that. i still don't know what this movie is about. the chick was lying in bed and/or in her underwear the whole movie.

3. movies that could be great historical films, but are ruined by senseless love stories.
you mentioned one: pearl harbor. titanic is another i will add.

MOVIES THAT MAKE ME CRY EVERY TIME I WATCH IT
(disclaimer: i don't cry during movies that often and is it rare that there is going to be a movie that makes me cry every single time)

1. dead poets society
the scene todd and his friends walk out to the lake in the snow just after finding out about neil's death. especially when todd just breaks down.

2. juno
while relatively new, the scene at the end of the film where juno and paulie bleaker are lying on the hospital bed after juno gives birth gets me every time i've watched this film.

3. homeward bound.
shut it. the scene that shadow falls down that steep hole and the scene he comes running/limping home into peter's arms.

HONORABLE MENTIONS
1. gladiator
2. american beauty
3. dumb and dumber
4. the sting - best redford/newman combination film
5. you've got mail
6. anything with or directed by kenneth brannaugh
7. fight club
8. bruce and evan almight
9. any mobster movie: godfather is #1
10. across the universe - as i've already stated, i liked the beatles before this film came out.