Tuesday, March 31, 2009

everybody will be happy over there

after i wrote that last blog on simple pleasures, i got to experience one- dairy queen ice cream cake. it was amazing. it brightened my day, especially that layer on the inside that is fudge and cookie crumbley stuff- to die for. (probably has the nutritional value of butter flavored crisco, but still tastes amazing) simply put, food brings me joy and i can only hope that God's eternal Presence does include some sort of food experience. in fact, my idea of heaven is a buffet with big tvs and sports games and comfortable couches. (i will apparently be severely obese in heaven...) i picture Heaven as all my simple pleasures wrapped up into one amazing, eternal package. but i'm not sure that will be the case.

i am human. i have always lived on earth, wearing flesh over my bones and walking around in this finite shell i call my body. because of this, it's hard for me to think about heaven. i can't conceptualize what being in God's Presence will be like. will i be scared? will i be happy? will i recognize people? will there be earthly things? will i long for things like ice cream cake, or will just being in the Presence of my Father be so overwhelming that i won't even think of anything but worshipping Him?

i wonder if Heaven will be anything that i even have the capacity to picture in my mind. mostly what i think heaven will consist of are love and peace. we go through so much turmoil and pain in this life because of our fallen nature. being separated from God because of our sin invites so many problems and complications in this life. but when we are reconciled to God through the Blood of His Son, i think all of that will disappear. so while i don't know what Heaven will look like or smell like, i know it will be so much better than even the most amazing moments here on earth.

feel free to share your thoughts on what Heaven looks like to you, and i guess one day we'll see how close we were to the truth.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Have you read in the Bible about those in the last days who are lovers of pleasure more then lovers of God, having only a form of Godliness?

StevenD said...

care to expand, anonymous?

Vee said...

Whenever I think about heaven, it always comes back as the few moments in life where you think everything is perfect, life couldn't get better, you've found heaven on earth. Times that by infinity, that's what I think heaven will be like.

For me, it's the perfect sunny day, playing in fresh cut grass with my beautiful family, out of breath from the games and giggles. That's usually when I stop and see God in my children and think 'Things couldn't be any better. I hope heaven is like this.'

That's just what my tiny, insignificant mind can fathom. Oh, and if heaven had 7-11 Slurpees, that'd be sweet too.

Anonymous said...

Haha! You've been anonymous-blogger-plagued. (It's a lot like the Old Testament kind. Only WAY more annoying.) You should feel flattered. He/she usually only targets people who are mature enough to ask questions about our faith.

It's interesting that you posted about this; my mom and I were just having a conversation about heaven over lunch. She asked me if I think my grandmother will be married to her deceased husband or her current husband when they all get to heaven.

It was a really hard question. Do you think anyone will even care? Will we all be, like you said, too busy being with God to worry about stuff like significant others? The idea of living for eternity without the person I've spent my whole life with kind of sucks. But maybe all of our relationships with one another will be completely changed, and there wont be spouses, children, grandparents, friends, neighbors... there will just be children of God... That's the only conclusion I can come to.

Either way, I hope that there is an endless supply of Doritos.

Anonymous said...

Heaven will be hours of those chords we used to sing back in the day...you know...those halftones? Yeah. An eternity of musical bliss with you folks.

But seriously, Heaven will look like the smile on the faces of people who are in front of an endless supply of Christmas gifts. Being able to capture that moment over and over and over again: that's Heaven. TRUE JOY. Joy that can't be recreated.